Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm alive, in case you were wondering

The pictures don't do it any justice, for on this Friday trip down the Death Road I saw the most beautiful views of my life (and Marianne, this is no exaggeration, seriously :) The contrast between the reddish and snow covered crags which melted into waterfall-sprinkled jungle was incredible. Pines and eucalyptus trees which gave way to palms and banana trees. Some places along the road you could see the jungle with a snow-topped mountain in the background... Glory!! I could barely keep my eyes on the road! Which was terrible because this road is NOT for the faint of heart. I was expecting a fun bike trip, I mean with a name like Camino del Muerte, this had to be a cheesy tourist attraction with plenty of terrifying stories but no real danger. FALSE. All those tourists were either extremely fit and fearless, or else dead. Hit a rock the wrong way, and you are CHAU like that Italian or Frenchman back there. Let's just say this is an extreme sport, if you go fast enough, which I did, since our guides gave us no choice! I'll be ready to pick up extreme mountain biking in a few years as my thrill of choice, once I actually build up the muscles for it :)
So yes. A wonderful thrill. God blessed us with glorious weather the whole trip. Sadly we couldn't stay overnight in Coroico to hike, since the hotel overlooked our reservation (I was so ready to lodge for the night for $1 with this crazy old lady with an empty upstairs room, but she had coca leaves plastered to her face, not suuuure how wise it would've been... thankfully I travel with wiser companions...) Saturday I spent the day easing my sore muscles in the family pool with Sara. Today I'm not at work because I've finally caught the family fever, which is sort of a blessing in disguise because I was desperately needing some R+R before returning to the suicidal insanity that is UofR. Haha. So today will be much Bible reading and finishing up all those books I brought with me... please pray for my healing! Can't wait to see you all in just a few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment